Site Background

What do you think could be improved upon or work better a different way? Let us know.

Site Background

Postby AwDoll » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Admin,
I have an issue with the blue Somali flag potrayed as the background of the site. I have really apprecited to have found out about the site, but as a Somali who only identifies to the homogeny of Somalia, I dont owe my allegiance to the Somali flag. I hail from Kenya and since the site is dedicated to the abtiris of all the Somalis, I suggest the Kenyan, Ethiopian and Djiboutian flags be included in the background, after all Somalis are found in all those countries.
AwDoll
AwDoll

Re: Site Background

Postby James Dahl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 am

Hi AwDoll :)

The Somali blue flag was created as a pan-Somali people flag, to represent all Somalis, and one point of the five pointed star represents Somalis of Kenya. The Republic of Somalia adopted the flag as their national flag because they had ambitions to expand Somalia's borders to include all five of the flag points, but I do not use it in this sense. I use it in the original sense.

The five points represented Somalis in Ethiopia, Somalis in Italian Somalia, Somalis in British Somaliland, Somalis in French Somaliland (now Djibouti) and Somalis in British East Africa (now Kenya)

Nowadays the republic of Somalia virtually does not exist so it actually stands better today as an "ethnic" flag than it ever did.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Re: Site Background

Postby Fuadgarase » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks Mr James,

Your answer it really touched my heart as you did explain to him everything splendidly. We Somalis need our flag today more than ever and indeed it really represents all five parts of Somalia, this flag it was never only for Somalia which is torn by civil war but this flag was always for greater Somalia and will always be like that. He my have not known the meaning of the flag but I hope your answer will give him satisfaction of his misunderstandings

Thanks again.
Fuadgarase

Return to Site Improvements, Suggestions