Sheekhaal/Faqi Omar Abtirsi

Please point out incorrect or missing information.
Forum rules
To post on the forum please PM James Dahl for posting rights. This is sadly necessary due to spam bots.

Sheekhaal/Faqi Omar Abtirsi

Postby nassir49 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Just bring your attention that, the Sheekhaal/ Faqi Cumar Abtirsi I have seen in this website are totally in correct and misleading. as a person of this clan I am very shock to see such wrong and detail to be published in this website. some of the misleading are that there are no leanage and relation ship between Aw Qutub and the hawiye and other names in the list and Aw Qutub's father is not Sheikh Sacad Da'ud Ciise and Caagane is not the children of Aq qutub. in fact Caagane is the child of Ahmed Faqi Omar and Aq qudub and Ahmed Faqi Cumar are Brothers.

There is other Abtirsi in this website which is more closer to the truth if not the correct one the "Fiqi 'Umar Fiqi Shamsi Fiqi Muhammad" entry is the one please use this as this is the right one.

please note that. the following are the Sheekhaal or Fiqi Cumar subclans

Aw-Qutub Fiqi Cumar
Aw Axmed Fiqi Cuma (known as Loobage)
Aw Cismaan Fiqi Cuma (known as Gandarshe)
Gaameedle Gandarshe
Jaziira, Fiqi Cuma also known as Baa Xassan
Qallu Fiqi Cuma
Teedan Fiqi Cuma
Abiib Fiqi Cuma
Cali Cafiif
Gudle Fiqi Cuma
Cabdi Shekh Fiqi Cuma
Cabdi Sufi Fiqi Cuma
Seka-when in Afar Region
Cabdisamad
Sheikh Hayti
Seyle
Wardiiq, in Ethiopia and Djibouti.
Cali Fiqi Cuma (known as sheekh liibaan)
Reerow-Xassan (there is a disputed about this subclan as some of them say they are part of Sheekhaal while other deny this.
nassir49

Re: Sheekhaal/Faqi Omar Abtirsi

Postby James Dahl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Fiqi 'Umar Fiqi Shamsi Fiqi Muhammad is the ancestor of the Sheekhaash, whom the Sheekhaal are related to via their maternal ancestor Faduma Mahdi Fiqi 'Umar, but recent genetic tests have shown conclusively that Sheekhaal are Martiile Hiraab and not a branch of Sheekhaash. Though some of course will argue the opposite, but the evidence I have seen is sufficient for me.

I don't have any descendants of Sheekhaal on my website so I will add in your list :)
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby nassir49 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 am

James Dahl wrote:Fiqi 'Umar Fiqi Shamsi Fiqi Muhammad is the ancestor of the Sheekhaash, whom the Sheekhaal are related to via their maternal ancestor Faduma Mahdi Fiqi 'Umar, but recent genetic tests have shown conclusively that Sheekhaal are Martiile Hiraab and not a branch of Sheekhaash. Though some of course will argue the opposite, but the evidence I have seen is sufficient for me.

I don't have any descendants of Sheekhaal on my website so I will add in your list :)

Hi thanks for your reply.

I dont know weather you are somali or not but it seems to me your knowledge about Sheekhaal (fiqi cumar) is narrow and the details you got on you website about Sheekhaal particularly this page http://www.abtirsi.com/view.php?person=1274 or totally misleading and Sheekhaal and Sheekhaash are the same and at no point are they related to Hiraab or hawiye, there is however a political relationsip between some of the subclans of the sheekhaal/sheekhaash which is Ahmed loobage with the hawiye clan but in terms of leanage they dont have any thing in common. you need alot of research about the Reer fiqi Cumar and there books written about their Abtirsi (I dont have now. but i did see it in the past) can you provide the recent genetic test that you mention in you post?

and last since i dont want to you give a misleading information, the list of sheekhaal i have supplied you in my previous post are not accurate its just for your information only, so you dont have to make list. again this shows how quickly jump just to create list without proper and reliable information.
nassir49

Postby loobage » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

I was wrong.
Last edited by loobage on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loobage

Postby James Dahl » Tue May 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello loobage :)

I have not had any expert help with Sheekhaal such as you both are helping me with here, my information on Sheekhaal is limited to what other Hiraab people have told me and some books that delve into the subject (such as Christian Bader's work Le Sang et le Lait, or the Invention of Somalia). It may have been "human error" on my part, entering the data incorrectly.

I see where I have gone wrong I think, and I will try and fix it. So It's Fiqi Cumar Khadbale Sacad Da'ud Ciise? Aw Qudub and Caagane are sons of Fiqi Cumar and not ancestors.

Like this?
http://www.abtirsi.com/view.php?person=831
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby loobage » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Last edited by loobage on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loobage

Postby James Dahl » Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm

No problem, it's good that things like this get fixed heheh.

Lots of skipping over generations in all lineages, as they are tools of kinship and support so people often don't memorize past their clan patriarch.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby nassir49 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:08 am

Dear Loobage.

If your are true Sheekhaal you would probably agree with me that "Reer Awqutub" and Loobage are brothers and the sons of Fiqi Cumar, but then how come this significant subclan (that is Aw qutub and others) Abtiris does not go through your version, and that they do not accept that they are part of the larger Hawiye clan. as fellow Sheekhaal (Aq-qutub) i totally disagree your version of Abtirsi. there are others who also made some research and came up different account from yours and that of the person who runs this website, check this site.http://www.swsomalia.com/view.php?id=600 if your read this article the author seems to link Fiqi Cumar and his sons (aw- qutub, pronounced differently in this website) to Digil and mirifle) this tells us that there are other major clans other than Hawiye who are also claiming that the Sheekhaal are part of them. All though i dont believe these accounts, they appears to be similar claims that Mr Loobage is making here.

the point i am making here is that all sheekhaal sub clans are the descendants of Fiqi Cumar which make Aw-Qutub and Loobage Brothers and if a major sub clan of this communtiyt does not subscribe to the idea of being part of Hawiye then Mr Loobage's claims must not be taken seriously. the only relation ship betwen Hawiye and Sheekhaal is a political relationship.

For Mr James Dahl please have look this website, if you dont read somali ask some one who does, there some claims which are relevant to your research particularly the fiqi Cumar clan, again these are not my sources i just came across few days ago.
nassir49

Postby loobage » Fri May 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Last edited by loobage on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loobage

Postby James Dahl » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

My dear nassir49,
There is disagreement but that is not uncommon within Hawiye. Generally speaking only Mudulood Hiraab or Madarkicis Hiraab clans always claim Hawiye. Before the fall of the Ajuuraan, I suppose Hawiye was not a strong clan, and were part of a number of other clan alliances.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Next

Return to Corrections, Additions