Osmania script

What do you think could be improved upon or work better a different way? Let us know.

Osmania script

Postby Fuadgarase » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Mr James,

It would have been better if you could add a virtual Osmania keyboard with Latin alphabet by side on Osmania section as we do don't have Osmania keyboard.

It would have been great achievement and everyone would have tried to learn how to write and read the script and spread the Osmania writings. Also if you are a Computer programmer or know any Computer programmer, It would have been great to create a virtual osmania keyboard program with Latin alphabet by side which is downloadable.

Sorry if I requested too much but that would have helped you and us to go forward and all your efforts of creating Osmania section Would spread around and it would not be for nothing as people will learn how to read and write The Osmania script.

Would you put in that Section the Osmania Alphabet that people could learn easily.
Fuadgarase

Re: Osmania script

Postby James Dahl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 am

I have thought about adding an Osmanya keyboard but my database has trouble with Osmanya characters. I added a converter though that transliterates latin character af-Soomaali into Osmanya though:

http://abtirsi.com/transliterate.php
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby Fuadgarase » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 pm

That is a start, great job and thanks for all the efforts you put into Osmania Script.

There is Slight adjustment needed there like:

If you write Long vowels (AA EE II OO UU) as Upper Case it Doubles the Short vowels.

If you write Long vowels (aa ee ii oo uu) as lower case it writes different characters.

But Short vowels (a e i o u or A E I O U) they are still the same whether you write them as upper case or lower case they show the same characters not changing to Capital letters.

Also the consonant letters they don't change if you try to write them as upper case.

I am wondering the Osmania script does it has a capital letters or not at all.

One more thing, there is not one single website can recognise this Osmania script, so would it be possible to make like a part of browsers, unicode system.
Fuadgarase

Postby James Dahl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 am

Well that's not really true, Osmanya is part of the Unicode standard, and you can use it in websites, it's just most web fonts and older browsers do not have glyphs for the Osmanya range, so they show up as unknown characters.

Also only one letter is capitalized, so it's Aadan for instance, not AAdan.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby Fuadgarase » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm

100% I disagree

Please check them before you come to conclusion

Check upper case

B T X J KH D R S SH DH C G F Q K L M N W H Y

Then Check lower case

b t j x kh d r s sh dh c g f q k l m n w h y

check these

A E I O U

a e i o u

Also check these

AA EE II OO UU

aa ee ii oo uu

give a minute and check then you will see the mistakes

Take into consideration as latin alphabet has the option to write all letters as upper case this osmania also should have that option.

Websites can't recognise this Osmania script it shows as squares all of them

Thank you.
Fuadgarase

Postby James Dahl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I suppose so but then the problem is for instance, acronyms. AARP for instance is a-a-r-p, not aa-r-p. In latin characters, people do not write double vowel capitals. If a sentence begins with the name Aadan, it is written Aadan not AAdan.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements, Suggestions