Other Tribes

Forum rules
To post on the forum please PM James Dahl for posting rights. This is sadly necessary due to spam bots.

Other Tribes

Postby Jilo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:23 am

On a similar note as my topic on the Oromo, I was surprised to see the Rendille listed in the genealogy. But then, we you come to think of it from a linguisic perspective, the Oromo are much further apart from the Somali than the Rendille or all the other tribes in the Omo-Tana group of Eastern Cushitic.
Consequently, if the Oromo are in the genealogy, so should the Rendile and the Boni be, the El-Molo and the Dhassanach, and maybe even the Yaaku. Also, the Gabbra and Sakuye should be listed either as Oromo subgroups or alongside the Rendille and Garre. It would be interesting to see where the Munyoyaya come in (since they also speak Oromo).
I couldn't find most of these tribes in the Abtirsi.com genealogy though. Maybe I have the spelling wrong?
Jilo

Re: Other Tribes

Postby James Dahl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I've still got quite a lot of research left to do, I don't have all the lineages of the major clans, let alone obscure and possibly unrelated peoples ;)

The link of Rendille to Somali genealogy is actually relatively well documented, I've seen it written about in two seperate books, best described in Le sang et le lait: brève histoire des clans somali (a monumental work from Christian Bader which is, unfortunately, also written entirely in French).
James Dahl
Site Admin

Postby Jilo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:34 am

By now I have read at least three or four different theories of how the Rendille link in to the Somali clan system - all from a Somali perspective. (My French is almost non-existent so I haven't read the book you recommended, but it also seems to come from a Somali perspective.) But then, I've seen Somali claims to almost any tribe in the Kenya, including the Masai and Samburu!

My view on the issue was changed radically when I read Günther Schlee's book "Identities on the Move: Pastoralism and Clanship in Northern Kenya". He comes very much from a Rendille perspective as he has done his PhD on the Rendille people.
His argument is that the Rendille, Gabbra, Sakuye and Garre (and maybe even the Ajuran of Kenya) were all one people group about 500 years ago. They then split and became infuenced by different neighboring groups: The Rendille by the Samburu, the Gabbra and Sakuye by the Borana and the Garre by the Somali.
Jilo

Postby James Dahl » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:19 am

The truth of the matter is that it is more complicated than a single origin. Every major nationality in East Africa is made up of a mix of various different 'origin' groups, who have come together and formed a nationality. The Rendille are no different, the ORIGINAL Rendille were a branch of the Samaale 'origin' group, but were not Somali, as Somali as we understand it today is a nationality, not an 'origin group' as there are many different Somali patriarchs such as Abd al-Rahman ibn Isma'il ibn al-Jaberti or Isaaq ibn Ahmad ibn al-Ridawi who are entirely unrelated to the 'origin group' of Samaale, but they all came together under a single religion and language and formed the Somali nationality. The Rendille had a 'origin group' of Samaale originally but then various peoples from nearby joined them and formed the nationality of Rendille.
James Dahl
Site Admin

Re: SOMALI CLAIM ON OTHERS

Postby bill wajeer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Somalis claim that Rendile were part of them but disconnected, so do the rendiile them. But for samburu and masaai they call us 'Apiyo' meaning maternal uncle and together wth samburu they share with us some words meaning since there was no contact between somalis and those tribes, we assumed their version of story can be true. However masai, samburu and turkana believe that they are sons of 'Israel' and they are from EGYPT.
bill wajeer

Postby James Dahl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Fix
James Dahl
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions